Spread your wingz, fly further, get hold of your dreams!

今すぐ飛び立つ! ココロの羽を広げて また見ぬ 未来へ

Friday 27 February 2009

One more week have passed and it's Friday again!! For those who do not believe what happened to Seansterz on last Saturday afternoon, please refer to his blog for the full and detailed account. I believe he did not like what I wrote and was pissed, so he decided to write his experience himself.

Yesterday was Thursday, which means Bio practical on the first 2 periods. We are supposed to make alginate beads and the whole class were so excited, even before this (when the lecturer told us we're doing alginate beads on Monday). She warned us not to play with the beads as some may have allergy to them, causing their hands to itch upon contact, so some girls in the class brought disposable gloves. Yes, they bought them and brought it to the lab (for those who think I'm pointing out them, please don't be offended)...

I took some pictures when doing the experiment, of course without the lecturer looking. First, we mix yeast together with the same amount of glucose solution. Next, we extract 3cm³ of the mixture, then add same amount of alginate. After stirring, add the mixture into a 3cm depth of calcium chloride using a glass rod, then, yeast-glucose alginate beads are formed.

Yeast-glucose Alginate Beads

We did another one using distilled water instead of glucose solution.

Yeat-distlled water Alginate Beads

Here is what happened when I just pour the mixture of yeast-distilled water into calcium chloride:

What are these? Tentacles LOL!

We are supposed to place an alginate bead into hydrogen peroxide solution to observe the activity of enzyme in yeast. Oxygen bubbles are formed around the beads and are used for the enzyme catalase to catalyse amylase. The beads will later float like this:


The yellow ones are taken from the other experiment

We also add the alginate beads in bromothymol blue solution. After 15 minutes, one of them turns from blue to yellow (pH6) and the other blue to green (pH7).


When the lab hours is over, some girls collected the beads and took them home. I wanted to take them home too, but still discarded them later since they will disappear eventually.

************************************************************

Since I posted so much pictures today, so I decided to post 1 more. This was what I cooked last Sunday (at last I moved my lazy hands and decided to cook). It was the second time I cooked myself this year xD. For 2 long months and I cooked twice only, the first time was the day before, Saturday night.



Stopping here now. Good night my blog!!



By,
Blue-Wingz

1 comment:

Unknown said...

why did you jizz in s beaker and pretend it was a yeast mixture?